Thursday, October 23, 2008

Ham and Cheese Stuffed Pork Chops with Mushroom Sauce


I made this for dinner last night (it wasn't the first time) and I thought I would share it here. It is originally from Rachael Ray's 365: No Repeats book (link in title). I love this book for all of it's options but it is hard to get through with Jason asking for them to be repeated already!

Ok I have changed the recipe a bit and added some hints to make it work better.
You need:
4 Pork chops (best if they are thin and on the bone... I rarely do use on the bone but it is easier)
8 slices of ham (any deli sliced kind is fine)
4 slices of a soft white cheese (I use Jack)
Sage
EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
1 lb of sliced white mushrooms
2 Tbls of butter
2 cloves of garlic (I use the pre-minced kind, so 2 heaping Tbls of that)
4 Tbls flour (if you use Wheat flour... only 2 Tbls with All-purpose)
2 cups chicken stock (I use bouillon)
1 cup dry white wine (you can use cooking wine)
1 Tbl Dijon mustard
Some fresh Thyme
Salt and Pepper

To start slice the pork chops to the bone, making a pocket in the middle. Wrap a slice of cheese and a sage leaf in two slices of ham and roll to fit in the pork chop pocket. Salt and pepper the inside and outside of the chop to your liking. Place in the pocket and hold together with toothpicks. Repeat for all four pork chops.

Heat a skillet over medium heat with EVOO (twice around the pan... just lightly coat the bottom). Add the pork chops to the hot oil and cook about 5 minutes a side. *Here I usually cover the chops to help them cook faster if I have thick chops. If they are thin they should be fine. Once the chops are fully cooked remove them from the pan and place on a plate. Tent with aluminum foil and let rest (but not get cold).

To the skillet you just used add the butter, mushrooms, a little Thyme, and garlic. Brown the mushrooms, about 3 to 4 minutes. Dust the mushrooms with 2 Tbls of flour and cook an additional minute. Add the chicken stock (or bouillon), white wine, and mustard. Stir well (or whisk) and cook an additional 3 to four minutes until it thickens. *At this point I usually add another 2 Tbls of flour. You don't have to but the wheat flour does not thicken well.


When the sauce is thick enough pour a little over each chop. Add steamed broccoli or other vegetable and some crusty french bread and serve. Enjoy!


I love this recipe but it is very rich so plan something light for the next meal. Let me know if this works for you. Happy cooking!

No comments: