Monday, October 20, 2008

Jobs not so available

So, as I am sure many of you know, we are both currently unemployed (but not unemployable) teachers. Today Jason finally applied to sub in two of our local districts. It has taken a while and a lot of hoops to jump through but it is finally done. I am so happy he is finally going to be doing something for money. He was also offered a position to do some after-school program in Marin county teaching computer skills to kids. I don't think he is going to do it but at least he had an offer (the hours and pay is not worth the time and drive). He will probably do the program over the summer though because it should be fun and will be worth it as a full-time position.

On to me. As many of you know I want to move out of teaching k-12 (or to be more exact High School). I want to move to Community College but need my Master's first. Since we can't afford to send me back to school yet I am looking for employment which might let me work in the Community College without actually being a professor. I had a first interview with SCC and it went relatively well for the position of Lab Tech. I hope to hear this week about it. I am also looking into working for the county too. My applications have meet minimum requirements and I hope to move to the next stage with that. I have also applied to most of the local temp agencies looking for employment. Something should pan out.

I guess I am just hoping for the best. we really want to get to work but it takes time. At least things have started looking up for us. We will keep you up-to-date on all of this.

No comments: